Storm Tips from FEMA
Central Florida is well known for storm season. We are all familiar with the steps we need to take to prepare our homes and businesses, but a little reminder never hurts! Here is a list of tips from FEMA-the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
For your Home:
- Cover all of your home’s windows with precut plywood or hurricane shutters to protect your windows from high winds.
- Plan to bring in all outside furniture, decorations, garbage cans and anything else that is not tied down.
- Keep all trees and shrubs well trimmed so they are more wind resistant.
- Turn off utilities if/when instructed. Otherwise, turn the refrigerator thermostat to its coldest setting and keep its doors closed.
- Turn off propane tanks.
- Ensure a supply of water for sanitary purposes such as cleaning and flushing toilets. Fill the bathtub and other large containers with water.
For your Business:
- Carefully assess how your company functions, both internally and externally, to determine which staff, materials, procedures, and equipment are absolutely necessary to keep the business operating.
- Identify operations critical to survival and recovery.
- Plan what you will do if your building is not accessible. Can you run the business from a different location or your home?
- Develop relationships with other companies to use their facilities in case a disaster makes your location unusable.
SERVPRO of Maitland-Casselberry is “Here to Help” after the storm passes.