Top Spring Flooding Tips
Flood insurance is a must here in Florida, have you checked your policy lately?
Although flooding can happen at any time in Florida, Spring flooding is common as frequent storms leave the ground soaked and streams are often at their highest levels of the year. Here are some tips for both families and businesses.
- Make a family emergency communication plan and include pets.
- Have emergency supplies in place at home, at work, and in the car.
- Flood insurance takes 30 days to take effect, so purchase now to protect your family!
- Listen to local officials by radio, TV or social media.
- Evacuate when advised by authorities or if you are in a flood or flash flood prone area.
- If you are on high ground above flooded areas, being prepared to stay where you are may be the best protection.
- Don't let your business end up in a dumpster. Make a Flood Safety plan today.
- Charge mobile devices. Locate flashlights & radio. Tell friends/family your location in case of power loss.
- Heavy rain to areas that have been experiencing drought can cause flash flooding.
If you do need to venture out during or immediately after a flood, follow these rules:
- Don’t drive or walk through flood waters
- Water moving at just 5 miles per hour can lift and displace manhole covers leaving unseen dangers
- As little as 12 inches of moving floodwater can be enough to float and carry away a small vehicle.
- 6 inches of moving water can knock an adult off their feet. STAY AWAY from moving water!
- Driving thru 6 inches of standing water can cause vehicles to lose control & stall. Avoid flooded roads.
- Be aware of areas where waters have receded. Roads may have weakened & could collapse under the weight of a vehicle.
- 30: The number of days it takes for flood insurance to begin. Don’t wait until it’s too late!
- Only flood insurance will cover the damage from floods. Speak with your insurance agent to learn more.
- A few inches of water in a 1,000-square foot home could cost more than $10,000 in repairs & replacement of personal possessions
- Prepare for a flood today by reviewing your property & flood insurance policies.
- Snap some pictures of your property & do an inventory. This will be handy if flood waters damage your property. Again, consider using the SERVPRO Ready Plan App.
- Flood waters can damage important papers. Store critical docs in a waterproof container or electronically.
- Before a flood: reduce potential property damage by elevating utilities & installing sewer backflow valves.
- Prepare before a flood by installing a water alarm in your basement.
After a Flood
- Watch your step! Flood waters often hide sharp and dangerous debris like broken glass and metal!
- Wear the appropriate protective clothing and gear like boots, gloves and safety glasses when it comes to moving debris!
- Hands off! Stay away from electrical utility equipment after a storm or if it is wet to prevent being electrocuted!
- Flooded homes are hazards! Get a professional to check for loose wires, mold and hidden damage before re-entering!
- Avoid walking in floodwater. It can be contaminated with oil, gasoline, or sewage.
- Use generators or other gas powered machinery only outdoors and away from windows.
The team at SERVPRO of Maitland/Casselberry has specialized training and experience in fire restoration services, natural disaster prevention, water damage, and natural disaster cleanup. Our staff is highly trained in building services and property damage restoration. We study IICRC standards and best practices in cleaning and restoration.
Call SERVPRO of Maitland/Casselberry (407) 388-0404 anytime.
Does SERVPRO Work with Homeowners Insurance Company After a Fire?
Rest assured, SERVPRO works closely with your insurance company. Call us anytime for assistance.
Central Florida Homeowners Can Trust SERVPRO to Work Closely with Insurance Companies.
The leading cause of fire-related deaths, injuries, and property loss is residential fires. Most of these homes, thankfully, are covered by homeowner’s insurance. When it comes to assisting Orlando residents with fire claims, a professional restoration company is vital.
How Does SERVPRO Assist Both the Homeowner and the Insurance Company?
Whenever a fire has occurred, the insurance company works with the owners to decide the extent of the loss. This process involves the homeowner, insurance company, insurance adjuster, and the restoration company. In many cases, the insurance company requires a professional company to work with them to ensure that everything gets done professionally. At SERVPRO, our services go beyond fire cleanup in Orlando. What we do is designed to assist all parties involved and includes:
- Minimal loss prevention - By providing immediate fire mitigation, more can be salvaged. Prompt action reduces secondary damage and property loss.
- Scoping information – The details we provide during the initial scope allow the insurance agent to review inspections and reports. He then can prioritize items on the work schedule.
- Assessing restoration needs – Our technicians help the insurance adjuster and owner decide what gets cleaned and what needs to be declared a loss.
- Working with adjusters – Our professional teams provide scoping, testing, and loss details that save the insurance adjuster time.
- Managing the restoration job –When our technicians handle the various aspects of restoration, the insurance company and homeowner do not need to waste time on minor, time-consuming tasks.
- Restore instead of replace – Our goal is always to restore instead of replacing whenever possible. This saves everyone time and money.
- Customer satisfaction – we know how a fire can impact your home. If possible, we restore your home to preloss condition.
SERVPRO of Maitland / Casselberry provides an invaluable service by working closely with residents and their insurance companies. As our company works closely with the adjuster, the stress is taken off the homeowner. The agent’s job goes smoother due to the detailed information we provide early in the process. When our Green Team provides fire cleanup services, we are doing more than cleaning – we are helping you get your life back on track.
SERVPRO of Maitland / Casselberry can help ease the challenges of addressing mold damage. Call us at (407) 388-0404 to assist you.
Is Mold Damage in Maitland Properties Difficult to Address?
Do you know how to locate hidden mold in your home? SERVPRO does!
SERVPRO Helps Address Any Issues that Arises After Mold Damage in a Property
Mold infestations are easy to detect in most properties because they show signs such as dark patches on surfaces or the development of a musty smell. However, easy identification does always lead to easy resolution of the problem because the surface mold may recur soon after removal. Simultaneously, the growth in hidden areas may require extensive tear down to remove.
Addressing mold damage in Maitland / Winter Park properties is only convenient if the right resources are utilized. Since SERVPRO technicians have considerable experience handling such situations, it is easy to identify problematic areas. For instance, we check:
- For the likelihood of penetration of mold hyphae beyond the surface of a material
- The presence of moisture in hidden sections of the house
- The level of deterioration in affected materials
Such evaluations from our SERVPRO technicians help guarantee a positive outcome in different ways. For instance, we can remove all the porous materials instead of cleaning their surfaces. If the evaluation reveals hidden moisture pockets, we can tear up the areas to reach the wet materials. Also, since mold plays a role in natural decay processes, we remove materials affected by the mold over long periods since they are likely to be structurally compromised.
SERVPRO of Maitland / Casselberry can help ease the challenges of addressing mold damage. Call us at (407) 388-0404 to assist you.
What To Do If You Find A Biohazard On Your Commercial Property
Biohazards, or biological and chemical contaminants, can pose serious dangers to your health and well-being. Not only do they create unhealthy and dangerous environments, but they put people at risk, which is why it’s integral to deal with biohazards properly in the event that you find one on your commercial property. Biohazards include, but are not limited to, the following.
- Sewage backups
- Crime scene residues
- Suicide/death accidents
- Homicide cleanups
- Blood cleanup
- Accident cleanup
- Hoarding scenes
- Animal waste/remains
- Chemical spills
- Tear gas cleanup
- Meth lab cleanup
As you can see, many of these scenarios are glaringly hazardous to general health and safety, and you must be sure to call professionals to deal with the biohazard right away instead of attempting to manage it on your own. The sensitive nature of biohazards means that reverting to do-it-yourself cleanup may pose dire consequences, so it’s best to contact experts like SERVPRO of Maitland / Casselberry instead.
Common biohazard scenarios include sewage backups, bloodborne pathogens, and illegal drug manufacturing labs/meth labs, which all pose emergencies that require immediate responses. Give SERVPRO of Maitland / Casselberry a call at (407) 388-0404 and we’ll send trained technicians to safely dispose of the biohazard as quickly as possible.
We’re available 24/7, 7 days a week, and even on holidays to respond to biohazard emergencies that put you at risk. Don’t hesitate to reach out. We’re here to help.
Casselberry Hidden Water Damages
Washing Machine Malfunctions Can Cause Water Damage
Think about the last time your appliances were moved or inspected
Many of us do not think about the household appliances that we use every single day. For most, they probably become a passing thought about how much wear and tear they are receiving. Most of the appliances we use to make our everyday lives easier to utilize water. This means they are prone to leaks at some point if they are not caught early on. Water damage can sit for ages before you as a homeowner realize. Therefore, regular inspections are important for prevention.
Inspect These Appliances for Leaks Often
- Hot Water Heater
- The lifetime of a hot water heater will typically span 10 to 15 years, but leaks can start much earlier than this. The seals and pipes connected to the hot water heater can often break down, so keeping an eye out for any accumulation both during and after use is a smart move.
- The rarity with which refrigerators are moved can lead to secret water damage that festers for ages before it is brought to light. A refrigerator’s water lines are typically made from a soft plastic that can easily fail, so checking for leaks behind and under the fridge as part of your annual home maintenance is wise.
- A dishwasher’s tubing is just as problematic as a refrigerator but is even more isolated and utilizes far more water. Additionally, homeowner’s insurance often does not cover water damage caused by older models of dishwashers, so regular checks are extremely important to keep up with.
- Washing Machine
- Washing machine hoses are some of the most common sources of leaks. Because they are notorious for this, it is recommended that they are inspected at least once a month by homeowners so you can be sure no issues have arisen. In addition to these regular checks, they should be fully replaced every five years in order to prevent hidden deterioration.
- Air Conditioner
- The drain in your HVAC unit is designed to keep condensation from pooling in and around the unit, but if this drain malfunctions, water damage can quickly be caused. Reference your manufacturer’s manual to determine how often your unit should be inspected and serviced—having a professional technician evaluate your machine is the best defense against HVAC-created water damage.
Do you know the types of storm damage?
Here in the Maitland, Florida we can suffer from many types of storm damage. Some of those are wind damage, flood damage, and hail damage. Here are a few quick tips to consider should storm damage hit your home or commercial property.
Wind Damage Restoration
Hurricanes often cause severe wind damage. Your roof is particularly susceptible. Roof damage from strong winds may lift roof shingles, cause cracks, or remove part or all of the roof. Harsh winds and rains can shear away asphalt tiles. Flying debris can also cause cracks and holes in your roof and siding. Correcting roof damage may challenge homeowners and business owners after a disaster, especially because a roof leak may not be obvious.
Why are many roof leaks and roof damage hard to detect? The storm may loosen flashing without creating a problem that’s easily visible to the eye. Loose flashing can cause another roof leak even weeks after the initial storm damage. A small roof leak can produce damp, moldy conditions inside your home or business. You best bet is to secure roof repair immediately after the wind damage. Doing so can prevent long term interior damage. A wind damage restoration expert, like the professionals at SERVPRO of Maitland/Casselberry, will help assure the homeowner or business owner receives a comprehensive roof assessment and roof repair services when hurricane or wind damage hits.
Flood Damage & Recovery
If your home or business is near water or in a low-lying area, flood water damage is a risk. Heavy rains and flooding may cause water damage many miles from the coast or from any large body of water. If the land around your home or business cannot absorb the additional water flooding may happen. Flood pump failures contribute to basement flooding and contaminated ground water too.
Flooding may also disrupt your municipal water system. Experts need to assess ground water and evaluate the condition of pipes following flood damage. Hiring a storm restoration professional, like SERVPRO of Maitland/Casselberry may allow you to begin your cleanup process even before water restoration occurs. And don’t forget-- cleaning before water restoration often proves essential yet challenging.
By relying upon a trained water damage restoration specialist, you'll usually obtain faster storm remediation. These experts may suggest ways to help mitigate flood water damage in the future, for instance, by requesting backup flood pump installation.
Hail Damage & Recovery
Hail may be the most overlooked cause of major storm damage. Hail can damage not just your roof but also your siding, exterior walls, and any detached sheds or outbuildings. You may think you’ve survived a hail storm but do know that hail damage is difficult to identify. Again, you’re wise to hire a storm damage restoration professional to inspect your roof, exterior walls, and outbuildings for damage. Dark spots on your roof are areas where the roofing granules have been knocked away. These weakened spots can lead to other more extensive problems such as leaks and cracks. Cracked and chipped siding is also a sign of hail damage.
Impact Damage & Recovery
In a major storm practically anything can become a creator of damage to your home or business. Think about trees. Your home may survive storm damage only to have a tree on your property succumb to the wind, hail, or rain and fall onto your house. A neighbor’s outdoor lawn furniture can become wind-blown projectiles. Extreme wind pressure turns regular outdoor items into tools of destruction. After storm damage, the professionals at SERVPRO of Maitland/Casselberry do a walk around to look for the signs of these types of unusual damage.
Help Is Here
The team at SERVPRO has specialized training and experience in fire restoration services, natural disaster prevention, water damage, and natural disaster cleanup. Our staff is highly trained in building services and property damage restoration. We study IICRC standards and best practices in cleaning and restoration.
Call SERVPRO of Maitland/Casselberry (407) 388-0404 anytime.
Why SERVPRO is the First Choice for Water, Fire, Storm, and Mold Damage Restoration Needs
When disasters cause home and commercial restoration emergencies, remember SERVPRO is always available for your restoration needs.
Why Maitland/Casselberry Residents can Act Decisively Against Storm, Mold, Fire or Water Damages
Central Florida residents use restoration services when unexpected home emergencies occur. By doing so, they can often save thousands of dollars in potential secondary damages that may occur as a result of improper or home restoration services. Our company has been a stalwart in the community of Greater Orlando for several years. It partakes in regular donations of both money and time to charity missions like clothing drives or children's shelters. Throughout the year, our servicemen and women are on-hand to help you overcome an emergency with minimum inconvenience and expense. Contact us anytime to arrange restoration services for water, mold, storm, or fire-related damages.
Water Damage Restoration
Homeowners may experience water damage in their Orlando area home at any time of year. These can be either in the form of excessive quantities of moisture in a short period overloading a home's defenses, or long-term problems creeping up over several months. Whether your Maitland home falls victim to flooding or a slow internal leaking, our water restoration technicians (WRT) are on-hand to provide the assistance you need. SERVPRO is available twenty-four-hours a day and even runs an out-of-hours service for emergencies.
Water incidents in your property can cause a chain reaction of interrelated issues. These issues may include problems with odor, microbial bacteria, fungi, or soiling of your possessions. SERVPRO restoration services are comprehensive in their approach to your Maitland/Casselberry home and can stop damage as well as putting in place proven methods to reverse it. Usually, we start by thoroughly removing water from the property, then drying using proper drying methods.
Bringing venting box fans to your Maitland/Casselberry home, as well as the careful placement of portable heating, can help to encourage natural evaporation. Natural evaporation is useful in removing moisture that may have absorbed into furnishings, upholstery, or flooring. Using moisture probes, SERVPRO can accurately assess the moisture content of any given material and can keep returning during the restoration service to ensure reaching our goals.
Indoor air quality is becoming increasingly prominent in the restoration service industry. Often, homeowners are surprised by quite how many toxins can exist in a home environment. The issue is especially pertinent in homeowners that have mold damage in their Orlando area homes. Molds breed by releasing microscopic spores into the surrounding atmosphere. These spores can cause unpleasant odors as well as ingestion when inhaling indoor air. SERVPRO takes decisive action during mold remediation to ensure the spread is limited and your air-quality restored.
Setting up containment is an essential part of the restoration. Usually, an area of your Orlando area home that shows evidence of mold growth needs quarantining. The removal of mold colonies or demolition of infested materials increases airborne spores. SERVPRO applies negative air pressure when performing controlled demolitions to ensure that the spread of spores is under control. Also, we may use physical barriers such as polyurethane sheeting to prevent microscopic spores from escaping.
Airborne particles are frequently invisible to the naked eye. This invisibility makes it challenging for a homeowner to assess or act against unwanted indoor air particles. Using high-efficiency particulate air-filters (HEPA), SERVPRO technicians can remove particles from the air that are as small as 0.3 microns. Air scrubbing equipment combined with deodorizing methods saves time on the turnaround of your restoration service.
Storm Damage Restoration
Storms can expose your home to outdoor elements as well as pathogens that may enter in floodwaters. Extraction is the most effective method of controlling storm damage in your Maitland/Casselberry home. However, to be truly useful, you need to combine rapid extraction with careful cleaning and drying. At SERVPRO, we often find homeowners suffering from microbial growth or mold issues traced back to initial flooding several weeks or months before.
Our restoration services focus on a complete, thorough approach to both removal and drying of moisture in your Orlando area home. When water is extracted and dried, it can leave behind microbes or stain on the flooring materials of your home. We use rotary floor machines to both loosen soiling from hard surfaces and apply pre-conditioning agents to soft ones like carpets. Rotary machines not only help to dislodge severe soiling but can help to buffer floors and leave them in a preloss condition.
Flooding as a result of stormy conditions can seem unfair. SERVPRO can help you to redress the balance by providing expert, locally-based technicians who can complete the job on time and on-budget. If the damage necessitates relocation temporarily, we can perform the vital mitigation tasks needed to prevent your home from suffering permanent damage in the interim period. SERVPRO restoration services are available to all residents of Orlando area in an emergency.
Fire Damage Restoration
If your heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system are on, it can cause extensive fire damage to your Maitland/Casselberry home. Air entering the supply side can overload filters causing hot smokes to travel through ventilation shafts. Return side outlets can then end up spewing soots, odor, and ash into unaffected regions of the house. SERVPRO restoration services incorporate a comprehensive game plan for HVAC inspection, cleaning, and replacement of ventilation ducts.
Hot smokes are attracted to cooler surfaces, which include the metal insides of a ventilation shaft. These can deposit thick soiling onto the inner sides of an HVAC system, which can be challenging and technical to clean. SERVPRO restoration services here in Orlando area can remove both return and supply-side air ducts to carry out in-depth inspections. Using air whips, we can dislodge loose soiling, which can then vacuum out using negative air pressure machines. Cleaning of the interior closest to the wall- where soiling builds up- can be cleaned using water and oil-based solvents.
Once your HVAC is clean, we can begin to perform repairs. Cavities opened with a circular drill for negative air pressure machine access can be resealed using aluminum plating. We can replace ducts in every room inexpensively. Return side ventilation filters need replacing to ensure that odor remains under control, and your home brought to a preloss condition.
Home emergencies are unexpected and, at times, seem unfair. Contact SERVPRO of Maitland/Casselberry at (407) 388-0404 for assistance with mold, storm, fire, or water-related incidents.
Our SERVPRO Of Maitland / Casselberry Team Is Ready To Help During This Time Of Need
SERVPRO Cares during this time of need.
While our local communities continue to react to the ever-changing news regarding the global pandemic of Coronavirus, this is a reminder that we are ready to help. We are specialist in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards. Our highly trained SERVPRO professionals offer cleaning services including the removal of biohazard contaminants. We have the specialized training and products to get your commercial property or public space back in business.
We are prepared to clean and disinfect your business or home, according to protocols set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants. The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, light switches, doorknobs, bathroom fixtures, toilets, keyboards, phones, tablets and tables.
Click Here for more information regarding Coronavirus cleaning protocols.
SERVPRO of Maitland / Casselberry is certified through the American Bio-Waste Solutions and trained to dispose of biohazard materials inline with EPA, OSHA, Florida State laws and local Pinellas County regulations. We are also a member of the local community and do our part to make the clearing of biohazard as painless as possible for our Largo area residents.
Why You Need An ERP for Your Business
When it comes to disaster, having a plan can help you company reopen faster and minimize costs.
The best way to reduce interruption to your business following a disaster is to plan for it now! It is estimated that as many as 50% of businesses may never recover following a disaster. Of the ones that do, an overwhelming majority of them had preparedness plans in place.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
Most contingency plans are made up of three main components: incident response, disaster recovery, and business continuity. The SERVPRO ERP addresses incident response and disaster recovery. Think about potential disasters that could affect your facility. Now ask yourself: Are you ready?
Our SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile is a start-up approach that provides important information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services.
Why the SERVPRO ERP?
- A no-cost assessment of your facility
- This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
- This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
- Establishes SERVPRO of Maitland/Casselberry as your disaster mitigation solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are “Ready for whatever and restoration provider.
- You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information.
- Having a quick reference for what to do, how to do it and who to call.
If you're interested in having an ERP done for your business (at no cost to you!), OR if you have more questions about the Emergency READY Profile, give SERVPRO of Maitland/Casselberry and call today (407)388-0404.
Time to Check Your Smoke Detectors
We have all heard the low, quiet, annoying beeping sound from inside the house that feels like it never beeps when you are standing next to it. Yes, you know what we are talking about, the smoke alarm. Did you know that the beeping sound is a reminder to change the batteries and perform a quick service to ensure it is working properly? The question is, do you know how to service your smoke alarms? We found some tips from NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) about how to maintain your smoke alarms.
- Smoke alarms should be maintained according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month using the test button.
- Make sure everyone in the home understands the sound of the smoke alarm and knows how to respond.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning to keep smoke alarms working well. The instructions are included in the package or can be found on the internet.
- Smoke alarms with non-replaceable 10-year batteries are designed to remain effective for up to 10 years. If the alarm chirps, warning that the battery is low, replace the entire smoke alarm right away.
- Smoke alarms with any other type of battery need a new battery at least once a year. If that alarm chirps, warning the battery is low, replace the battery right away.
- When replacing a battery, follow the manufacturer’s list of batteries on the back of the alarm or manufacturer’s instructions. The manufacturer’s instructions are specific to the batteries (brand and model) that must be used. The smoke alarm may not work properly if a different kind of battery is used.
In the case of a fire emergency in your home or commercial business, SERVPRO of Maitland/Casselberry has the specific damage restoration training, personnel, and equipment and can quickly restore your home. Why should you trust us? Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property as an IICRC-Certified Firmed. Call SERVPRO of Maitland/Casselberry at (407) 388-0404.